Installed power generation capacity of Vietnam reached 76.6 GW by the end of 2021, rising 7.5 GW or 10.9% from a year ago, said the state-controlled utility EVN.
Coal and hydro power accounted for 54% of its newly-installed power generation capacity, and the rest 46% was from other renewables.
The recovery of economy and expansion of coal-fired capacity are set to drive up the country's demand for imported thermal coal.
The country's total power generation reached 244.8 TWh in 2021, rising 4.2% from 2020, the data showed.
The government pledged to realize net zero emissions by 2050 in sync with the process of hte entire Southeast Asian regions. However, coal still dominates the country's energy mix and the country plans to double its coal power capacity by 2030.
(Writing by Lilya Li Editing by Alex Guo)
For any questions, please contact us by firstname.lastname@example.org or +86-351-7219322.